I love reading about organizations that do things to better the world and help people. I recently saw a commercial which led me to Google the Clean the World Organization. Founders Shawn Seipler and Paul Till realized impoverished people around the world die every day from acute respiratory infection and diarrheal disease because they don’t have a basic necessity such as soap.
Each year more than five million lives are lost to these diseases with the majority of deaths being among children less than five years old. Studies have shown that simple hand washing substantially reduces the spread of these diseases. Unfortunately, the essential items for proper hand washing are unobtainable for millions of people worldwide.
In an effort to prevent these needless deaths from occurring, Clean the World distributes recycled soap products, along with appropriate educational materials, to impoverished countries worldwide, and to domestic homeless shelters.
The mission of Clean the World:
1. Collect and recycle soap and shampoo products discarded by the hospitality industry every day.
2. Through the distribution of these and other donated hygiene products to impoverished people, prevent the millions of deaths caused by hygiene-related illnesses every day.
How it all Works:
Clean the World has a very detailed process on how the collection and distribution of soap works…
1. Collecting, sorting and processing discarded soap, shampoo conditioner and lotion product donations from participating hospitality partners.
2. Collection of donated hygiene products from manufacturers.
3. Recycling these product donations at its facilities in Orlando, Florida.
4. Delivering these recycled product donations to domestic homeless shelters and impoverished countries suffering from high death rates due to acute respiratory infection and diarrheal disease.
Since its inception, Clean the World has been steadily increasing its services and operations to accommodate rapidly expanding community needs, awareness and donations, and has accepted in-kind donations of more than $1,000,000. In the process, Clean the World has put over 4 million soap bars and 200,000 pounds of shampoo and conditioner back into human use, simultaneously eliminating over 380 tons of waste.
Clean the World is supported by the generous contributions of individuals and organizations worldwide, through Hospitality Recycling Program fees, in-kind donations, and fundraising events. Over 95% of our cash donations and program fees go directly into program operations.
Click here to see participating hotel partners.